Bangladesh inherited the long tradition of conducting the population census on decennial basis since 1872. The third population census of Bangladesh, which is thirteenth in the series, was conducted during March 12-15, 1991.
The main objective of the census was to collect information about the basic characteristics related to housing, households and population for developing a comprehensive data base for development planning and human resource development programmes as well as economic management.
Kind of Data
Census/enumeration data [cen]
Unit of Analysis
Unit of Analysis
Producers and sponsors
Authoring entity/Primary investigators
Bangladesh Bureau of Statistics (BBS)
Dates of Data Collection (YYYY/MM/DD)
Mode of data collection
Bangladesh Bureau of Statistics
The dataset has been anonymized and is available as a Public Use Dataset. It is accessible to all for statistical and research purposes only, under the following terms and conditions:
1. The data and other materials will not be redistributed or sold to other individuals, institutions, or organizations without the written agreement of the Bangladesh Bureau of Statistics.
2. The data will be used for statistical and scientific research purposes only. They will be used solely for reporting of aggregated information, and not for investigation of specific individuals or organizations.
3. No attempt will be made to re-identify respondents, and no use will be made of the identity of any person or establishment discovered inadvertently. Any such discovery would immediately be reported to the Bangladesh Bureau of Statistics.
4. No attempt will be made to produce links among datasets provided by the Bangladesh Bureau of Statistics, or among data from the Bangladesh Bureau of Statistics and other datasets that could identify individuals or organizations.
5. Any books, articles, conference papers, theses, dissertations, reports, or other publications that employ data obtained from the Bangladesh Bureau of Statistics will cite the source of data in accordance with the Citation Requirement provided with each dataset.
6. An electronic copy of all reports and publications based on the requested data will be sent to the Bangladesh Bureau of Statistics.
The original collector of the data, the Bangladesh Bureau of Statistics, and the relevant funding agencies bear no responsibility for use of the data or for interpretations or inferences based upon such uses.