The current round of the Household Income and Expenditure Survey (HIES) is the second of the expanded series of household surveys which included consumption sections. Previous rounds, named Household Income Surveys (HIS), were conducted in 1991-92, and in 1995-96.
Kind of Data
Sample survey data [ssd]
Unit of Analysis
Individuals and households
The 2005 Bangladesh Household Income and Expenditure Survey included the following topics:
- Household information roster, housing, education, health, economic activities and wage employment, non-agricultural enterprises, agricultural enterprises, other income and assets, consumption.
The dataset has been anonymized and is available as a Public Use Dataset. It is accessible to all for statistical and research purposes only, under the following terms and conditions:
1. The data and other materials will not be redistributed or sold to other individuals, institutions, or organizations without the written agreement of the Bangladesh Bureau of Statistics.
2. The data will be used for statistical and scientific research purposes only. They will be used solely for reporting of aggregated information, and not for investigation of specific individuals or organizations.
3. No attempt will be made to re-identify respondents, and no use will be made of the identity of any person or establishment discovered inadvertently. Any such discovery would immediately be reported to the Bangladesh Bureau of Statistics.
4. No attempt will be made to produce links among datasets provided by the Bangladesh Bureau of Statistics, or among data from the Bangladesh Bureau of Statistics and other datasets that could identify individuals or organizations.
5. Any books, articles, conference papers, theses, dissertations, reports, or other publications that employ data obtained from the Bangladesh Bureau of Statistics will cite the source of data in accordance with the Citation Requirement provided with each dataset.
6. An electronic copy of all reports and publications based on the requested data will be sent to the Bangladesh Bureau of Statistics.
The original collector of the data, the Bangladesh Bureau of Statistics, and the relevant funding agencies bear no responsibility for use of the data or for interpretations or inferences based upon such uses.
Use of the dataset must be acknowledged using a citation which would include:
- the Identification of the Primary Investigator
- the title of the survey (including acronym and year of implementation)
- the survey reference number
- the source and date of download
Bangladesh Bureau of Statistics. Bangladesh Household Income and Expenditure Survey 2005. Dataset downloaded from <http://www.bbs.gov.bd/Home.aspx> on [date].
The user of the data acknowledges that the Bangladesh Bureau of Statistics, the International Household Survey Network, and The World Bank bear no responsibility for use of the data or for interpretations or inferences based upon such uses.
DDI Document ID
Conversion to DDI
Date of Metadata Production
DDI Document version
Version 02_M (May 2011) This version adds/edits information to version 01_M, specifically on Study Description, literal/pre/post questions, category labels, and variable documentation.