The Household Budget Survey (HBS) constitutes the basic information to describe, analyse and interpret consumption expenditure of households in Bosnia and Herzegovina.
The survey, based on a sample of households, collects data on household expenditures for consumption, with a particular focus on the social and economic aspects of household living conditions. By virtue of its sample design, the survey allows both the qualitative and quantitative analysis of living standards and consumption behaviour of households, referring to different typologies and territorial and social contexts.
The main purpose of the survey is to collect information on the structures and levels of consumption expenditure by the main social, economic and territorial characteristics of households; all expenditures incurred by households to purchase goods and services for personal consumption are registered.
The definition of consumption expenditure also includes goods coming from the household garden or farm which have been directly consumed by the household itself (self-consumption); goods and services provided by the employers as salary; the imputed rent for houses occupied by the owner or used without a charge. Any other expenditure incurred by households for purposes other than consumption is excluded from the concept of consumption expenditure (for example the purchase of a dwelling or a piece of land, the payment of taxes, expenditures connected with work activities, etc.). Data on the amount of consumption expenditure is collected at the moment the good or service is purchased, regardless of the moment it was actually consumed or paid (for example by credit card or installments).
In order to provide a complete picture, the survey collects data on expenditures for food and beverages, housing, furniture, clothes and footwear, health, transport and communication, recreation, culture and education and other goods and services not already mentioned, in addition to information on the household members (relationship with household head, age, marital status, education level, professional condition and position) and on housing characteristics.
Kind of Data
Sample survey data [ssd]
v01: Edited data, for internal use only.
The Federation of BiH, the Republika Srpska and the Brcko District.
Cities and settlements
Producers and sponsors
Authoring entity/Primary investigators
Bosnia and Herzegovina Agency for Statistics
Institute of Statistics of the Federation of Bosnia and Herzegovina
Institute of Statistics of the Republika Srpska
Italian National Institute of Statistics
Bosnia and Herzegovina Agency for Statistics
United Kingdom Department for International Development
Italian Development Cooperation (Cooperazione Italiana)
Dates of Data Collection (YYYY/MM/DD)
Mode of data collection
Computer Assisted Personal Interview [capi]
Type of Research Instrument
The Household Budget Survey is a statistical survey which collects data on consumption expenditure, self-consumption and income in addition to data on basic demographic, economic and social characteristics of households. This data is used as a basis for the production of important indicators of household living standards, such as housing conditions, ownership of durable goods, dwelling heating systems, etc.
Data for this survey is collected through three questionnaires:
1. Diary of Purchases (HBS/1), in which the household records, on a daily basis over a 14 day period, quantities and values of products purchased, such as food, beverages and tobacco, as well as other products and services which the household uses on a regular basis (transport costs, personal hygiene, books, newspapers and various printed material, etc.).
2. Self-Consumption Booklet (HBS/1A), in which the household records, on a daily basis over a 14 day period, quantities consumed and estimated values of articles produced by the household.
3. Final Interview (HBS/2) which is used to collected data on household members, household expenditure for dwellings, procurement of durable goods and non-food products (furniture, services, clothing and footwear, health, transport and communication, recreation, culture, education, etc.), as well as data on household income and investments.
The Federal Office of Statistics
The use of the datasets must be acknowledged using a citation which would include:
- the identification of the Primary Investigator (including country name)
- the full title of the survey and its acronym (when available), and the year(s) of implementation
- the survey reference number
- the source and date of download (for datasets disseminated online)
Bosnia and Herzegovina Agency for Statistics, the Institute of Statistics of the Federation of Bosnia and Herzegovina and the Institute of Statistics of the Republika Srpska. Bosnia and Herzegovina Household Budget Survey (HBS) 2004, Ref. BIH_2004_HBS_v01_M. Dataset downloaded from [URL] on [date].
Disclaimer and copyrights
The user of the data acknowledges that the original collector of the data, the authorized distributor of the data, and the relevant funding agency bear no responsibility for use of the data or for interpretations or inferences based upon such uses.