The Montenegro Household Budget Survey (HBS) 2009 has been harmonized with International standards and recommendations of EUROSTAT and UN, which enables international comparability of data. The survey collects data about incomes, expenditures and consumption of households, i.e., data about primary elements of personal consumption, as well as data about some important indicators of living standard (dwelling conditions, possession of permanent goods, etc.) and primary data about demographic, economical and sociological characteristics of households.
Kind of Data
Sample survey data [ssd]
Unit of Analysis
The surveying unit is a household. The term household refers to: a) Single person living, spending and feeding individually; b) Community of persons living, feeding and spending received income together.
- Salaries and wages in money include: income from regular work, income from auxiliary work and income from contract on performed work.
- Income from pension insurance include: income from insurance on pension and disability, personal and family disability and additions to disability.
- Income from social protection include: income from social protection, incomes from health insurance, children benefits, and alimonies, pupils and students scholarships, income from material insurance.
- Gifts and income include: gifts and income from abroad, wins from games of chance, bookmakers, etc.
- Other available assets include: income from purchase of securities, reducing of cash money in household, loans, and other types of income, etc.
Total personal consumption of households is provided through the following groups of COICOP classification: food and non-alcoholic beverages; alcoholic beverages and tobacco; footwear and clothing; dwelling, water, electricity; furniture, housing and maintenance; health; transport; communications; recreation and culture; education; restaurants and hotels and other goods and services.
Personal consumption from own production includes the value of products from own production of households spent on personal consumption (food and non-alcoholic beverages; alcoholic beverages and firewood).
Producers and sponsors
Statistical Office of Montenegro
Statistical Office of Montenegro
The sample of the survey is two-stage stratified sample, with enumeration areas as primary and households as secondary selection units. On annual level, the sample consists of 1560 households, each month 26 enumeration areas, i.e. 130 households are selected.
The 2009 survey examined 1,223 households which make the 74.80% response rate.
Dates of Data Collection
Data Collection Mode
The survey uses the questionnaire based interview method, where the reference period for permanent goods is 12 months, for semi-durables 3 months, using the diary (household is running the consumption diary in the reference month).
Use of the dataset must be acknowledged using a citation which would include:
- the Identification of the Primary Investigator
- the title of the survey (including country, acronym and year of implementation)
- the survey reference number
- the source and date of download
Statistical Office of Montenegro. Montenegro Household Budget Survey (HBS) 2009, Ref. MNE_2009_HBS_v01_M. Dataset downloaded from [url] on [date].
Disclaimer and copyrights
The user of the data acknowledges that the original collector of the data, the authorized distributor of the data, and the relevant funding agency bear no responsibility for use of the data or for interpretations or inferences based upon such uses.