St Lucia had conducted its last Census of Agriculture in 1996. Previous Agricultural Censuses had been taken in 1946, 1961, 1973/74 and 1986. Therefore, the 2007 St Lucia Census of Agriculture is the country’s sixth agricultural census.
Since the Census of Agriculture in 1996 several changes have occurred in the country, which have strongly impacted on the agriculture sector and the national economy in general.
The 2007 St. Lucia Census of Agriculture has captured vital statistics as regards the changes in the structure and scope of agriculture in the country. Such data is indispensable to the process of realizing the full potential of the agricultural sector’s limited resource base and competitive markets. The Government of St. Lucia, through the Ministry of Agriculture, Forestry and Fisheries has undertaken this agricultural census with the technical backing of the Food and Agriculture Organization (FAO). Special mention must be made of the efforts of the Corporate Planning Division and the Census Advisory Committee, as well as other supporting public and private sector institutions. The enumerators, supervisors, field co-ordinators, data entry clerks, editors, coders and other census staff must be commended for a job well done.
The 2007 Census of Agriculture had the following main objectives:
1. To provide data on the structure of agriculture, especially for small administrative units.
2. To provide data to be used as benchmarks for current agricultural statistics.
3. To provide frames for agricultural sample surveys.
4. To provide data to help monitor progress towards global development targets, in particular the Millennium Development Goals (MDG’s).
5. To increase the capabilities of the Corporate Planning Unit in the Ministry of Agriculture, Forestry and Fisheries, to plan, design, collect, process, analyze and disseminate agricultural information.
It had the following specific objectives:
1. To provide information at national level, administrative district level and enumerationdistrict level on:
i) Number, area, number of parcels and form of tenure of agricultural holdings.
ii) Legal status of holders.
iii) Agricultural land utilization.
iv) Sex, age, main occupation of individual holders and size of their households.
v) Proportion of household income from agriculture.
vi) Agricultural labour force.
vii) Holdings growing specific crops, area under these crops and the spatial distrib ution of crops.
viii) Number and type of livestock.
ix) Equipment and selected agricultural practices on holdings.
2. To feed with desegregated information the Geographic Information System (GIS) of the Ministry of Physical Development, Housing, Urban Renewal and Local Government.
3. To train technical personnel on census taking, data processing, sample surveys and data analysis.
4. To set the basis for:
i) The establishment of a system of “current” agricultural statistics on planted and harvested area, production, yield and forecasting at the Corporate Planning Unit (CPU) level.
ii) The establishment of a system of “current” agricultural statistics on livestock at the CPU
iii) In-depth surveys on agricultural practices, costs of production, environmental conservation, agricultural labor force, marketing of agricultural products, credit, income, consumption and the living conditions of farmers and their families, the role of women in the agricultural sector, etc.
5. To provide information for studies on agricultural and agricultural-related projects. The 2007 St Lucia Census of Agriculture was undertaken under the framework of the World Programme for the Census of Agriculture 2010 of the FAO.
Kind of Data
Census/enumeration data [cen]
Unit of Analysis
- Agricultural Holding and Holders
The scope of the 2007 St Lucia CAF is to measure the structure of the agricultural sector in the country. It covered the economic activities of Groups 011, 012 and 013 of the Industrial Standard International Classification (ISIC) of Economic Activities (2004). These groups are:
i. Group 011: Growing of crops; market gardening; horticulture.
ii. Group 012: Farming of animals.
iii. Group 013: Growing of crops combined with farming of animals (mixed farming)
a) Identification and location of agricultural holdings;
b) Identification and legal status of agricultural holders;
c) Population and employment in agricultural holdings; Land on holdings:
d) Total land, land tenure and land use;
e) Number of trees by type of permanent/medium term crop;
f) Area under compact plantation of banana, plantain and coconut;
g) Number of holdings growing temporary crops by type of crop;
h) Type of forests in holdings and production of non-timber forest products;
i) Number of livestock by type;
j) Type of machinery and equipment;
k) Selected agricultural practices and facilities;
l) Farm organizations membership;
m) Proportion of household income coming from agriculture;
n) Sex and age of persons responsible for the different farming activities;
o) Whether or not other economic activities are carried out by members of the holder’s household and their type;
p) Whether or not remittances are received in the holder’s household.
The 2007 St Lucia Census of Agriculture covered all the island territory excluding the Government Forest Reserves (17000 acres) and all agricultural activities.
Producers and sponsors
Minister of Agriculture, Forestry and Fisheries
Government of St. Lucia
Food and Agriculture Organization
Food and Agriculture Organization
Corporate Planning Division and the Census Advisory Committee
Dates of Data Collection
Data Collection Mode
Data Collection Notes
The field work was performed during the period January 22nd 2007 to March 15th 2007.
Use of the dataset must be acknowledged using a citation which would include:
- the Identification of the Primary Investigator
- the title of the survey (including country, acronym and year of implementation)
- the survey reference number
- the source and date of download
Minister of Agriculture, Forestry and Fisheries, Government of St. Lucia. St. Lucia Census of Agriculture 2007. Ref. LCA_2007_AgC_v01_M. Dataset downloaded from www.measuredhs.com on [date]
The user of the data acknowledges that the original collector of the data, the authorized distributor of the data, and the relevant funding agency bear no responsibility for use of the data or for interpretations or inferences based upon such uses.