The purpose of the 2001 Population and Housing Census (PHC) was to provide information on the population of Botswana. The main objective of collecting data on the population was to provide basic information on the size, distribution and structure of Botswana's population. The census data would provide, among others, trends of population characteristics over the years as well as guide policy planning and implementation. The specific objectives of the 2001 PHC include:
1. To provide measures of both current and usual economic activity.
2. To obtain a measure of lifetime and current fertility.
3. To provide measures of unemployment.
4. To estimate the extent of migration.
5. To provide total population growth rate and to estimate future projections.
Kind of Data
Census/enumeration data [cen]
Unit of Analysis
- Housing units
Version 02 of the 2001 Population and Housing Census was updated in the following metadata fields: abstract, producers and sponsors (funding), citation requirements, disclaimer and technical documents on external resources was added.
The 2001 Population and Housing Census covered the following topics:
- Demographic characteristics of household members
- Agriculture and land acquisition
- Housing unit conditions
- Economic activity of household member age 12 years and above
- Fertility and child survival
- Household amenities
- Ownership of durables
Use of the dataset must be acknowledged using a citation which would include:
- the Identification of the Primary Investigator
- the title of the survey (including country, acronym and year of implementation)
- the survey reference number
- the source and date of download
Central Statistics Office. Population and Housing Census (PHC) 2001. Ref. BWA_2001_PHC_v01_M. Dataset downloaded from [URL] on [date].
Disclaimer and copyrights
The user of the data acknowledges that the original collector of the data, the authorized distributor of the data, and the relevant funding agency bear no responsibility for use of the data or for interpretations or inferences based upon such uses.
DDI Document ID
Development Economics Data Group
The World Bank
Documentation of the DDI
Date of Metadata Production
DDI Document version
Version 02 (December 2017)
Updates were made in the following metadata fields:
- Producers and sponsors (funding)
- Citation requirements
- Technical documents on external resources was added