This was the first census in 36 years. The last census was held in 1962.
Kind of Data
Census/enumeration data [cen]
Unit of Analysis
The 1998 General Population Census of Cambodia covered the following topics:
- Building /Structure and Household Particulars
- Population Particulars
- Individual Particulars
- Fertility Information of Females Aged 15 and Over
- Housing Conditions and Facilities
Producers and sponsors
National Institute of Statistics (NIS)
Ministry of Planning
Dates of Data Collection
Data Collection Mode
National Institute of Statistics
Ministry of Planning
The Statistics Law Article 22 specifies matters of confidentiality. It explicitly says that all staff working with statistics within the Government of Cambodia "shall ensure confidentiality of all individual information obtained from respondents, except under special circumstances with the consent of the Minister of Planning. The information collected under this Law is to be used only for statistical purposes."
Each dataset has an "Access policy". The NIS recommends three levels of accessibility:
- Public use files, accessible to all
- Licensed datasets, accessible under conditions
- Datasets only accessible in a data enclave, for the most sensitive and confidential data.
1. The data and other materials will not be redistributed or sold to other individuals, institutions, or organizations without the written agreement of the National Institute of Statistics.
2. The data will be used for statistical and scientific research purposes only. They will be used solely for reporting of aggregated information, and not for investigation of specific individuals or organizations.
3. No attempt will be made to re-identify respondents, and no use will be made of the identity of any person or establishment discovered inadvertently. Any such discovery would immediately be reported to the National Institute of Statistics.
4. No attempt will be made to produce links among datasets provided by the National Institute of Statistics, or among data from the National Institute of Statistics and other datasets that could identify individuals or organizations.
5. Any books, articles, conference papers, theses, dissertations, reports, or other publications that employ data obtained from the National Institute of Statistics will cite the source of data in accordance with the Citation Requirement provided with each dataset.
6. An electronic copy of all reports and publications based on the requested data will be sent to the National Institute of Statistics.