This is the second AHS survey that was conducted in Lao PDR by National Statistical Center (predecessor of Department of Statistics/Lao Statistics Bureau) in 2004.
The Annual Household Survey is conducted to provide data requirements of the National Accounts of Lao PDR.
Kind of Data
Sample survey data [ssd]
Unit of Analysis
Version 2.0: Final Dataset, for public distribution.
The 2004 Annual Household Survey covered the following topics:
- Household composition
- Labour Force: Labour force participation last seven days; overview of work in the 7 days (person 10 years and over)
- Construction Activities
- Household Businesses: Establishing the existince of non-farm enterprises
- Agriculture: crop harvested; fishery; forestry; livestock; poultry
- Households' Purchase and selling of Durables
- Income and Transfers
- Daily Expenditure includes cash and own in kind use
- Urban and Rural
- Three Regions: North, Central, South
- All private household in Lao PDR
- all person 10 years and over
Producers and sponsors
National Statistical Center (NSC)
Committee for Planning and Investment
Swedish International Development Agency
Funding the study
- Household Sameple Size: 2,400 household
- Village Sample Size: 240 Villages
- AHS 2004, For each village, random sample of 5 household from 10 household of AHS2003 and 5 new household from the list provided by village chief to the enumerator.
For detail please refer to the manual for "AHS2004 Report - Final" (Lao version) on page 2.
Dates of Data Collection
Data Collection Mode
- Advised by the Lao Statistics Bureau and Provincial Department of Planning and Investment
- National and Provincial advisor.
Data Collection Notes
- One month for data collection
- 120 villages for the first two weeks and the remaining 120 villages on the second two weeks
- Data collection on one village take 15 days
Provincial Department of Planning and Investment
District Department of Planning and Investment
AHS 2004 has 2 forms:
(1) Household Survey
- household composition
- labor force: labor force participation last sevendays; overview of work in the last seven days
- construction activities in the past 12 months
- household businesses: establishing the existence of non-farm enterprises
- agriculture: crop harvested during last 12 months; fishery; forestry; livestock, poultry
- households' purchase and selling of durables during the last 12 months
- income and transfers
(2) Diary Expenditure and Consumption Household Survey
- households' diary sheet for household transactions
- Office editing and coding
- Use software Microsoft Access for entry and checking data
- Use SQL Server for Database
- Use SPSS for analysis
This (Census/Survey) conforms to the provisions of confidentiality stated under Article 24 of the Statistics Law, of Lao PDR which identifies the "three type of statistics confidentiality as follows:
1. State confidentiality with regard to stability, national defense, security and other secrets that are defined in a specific manner;
2. State confidentiality with importance to any specific sector;
3. Individual confidentiality of information from any individual, legal person or any organization that are gathered/collected from survey and administrative report."
Before being granted access to the dataset, all users have to formally agree:
1. To make no copies of any files or portions of files to which s/he is granted access except those authorized by the LSB.
2. Not to use any technique in an attempt to learn the identity of any person, establishment, or sampling unit not identified in the dataset.
3. To hold in strictest confidence the identification of any establishment or individual that may be inadvertently revealed in any documents or discussion, or analysis. Such inadvertent identification revealed in her/his analysis will be immediately be reported to the LSB.
Authorization to use this data is granted only to the client or data user and persons within the Lao Statistics Bureau (LSB). Under no circumstances shall the client reproduce, distribute, sell or lend the entire data or parts thereof to any other data user apart from himself or that of authorized employees in the LSB. The LSB shall hold the data user fully responsible for safeguarding the data from any unauthorized access or use.
Lao Statistics Bureau, Annual Household Survey 2004 (HS2004), Version 2.0 of the public use dataset (May 2012), provided by the Lao National Data Achive (www.nsc.gov.la/nada).
The LSB gives no warranty that the data are free from errors. The user of the data acknowledges that the Lao Statistics Bureau (LSB), Ministry of Planning and Investment and the Swedish International Development Co-operation Agency (SIDA) bear no responsibility for use of the data or for interpretations or inferences based upon such uses.
DDI Document ID
Lao Statistics Bureau (LSB)
Lao Statistics Bureau (LSB)
Date of Metadata Production
DDI Document version
Version 02 (December 2013). Edited version based on Version 1.0 (May 2012) DDI (DDI-LAO-LSB-AHS-2004-v1.0) that was done by Yangxiong and Phaithong (Lao Statistics Bureau (LSB)).