The 2004 population census was carried out during the period from 5 to 12 October 2004, according to the decision of the Government of the Republic of Moldova. The data are presented for country’s resident population, by sex and area, in territorial aspect, according to the administrative-territorial division in force of the Republic of Moldova at the date the 2004 census was carried out, without eastern counties and Bender municipality.
Kind of Data
Census/enumeration data [cen]
Unit of Analysis
The scope of the Moldova Population Census 2004 includes:
- Individual: Relationship to the first resident of the household, Situation at the Census, Sex, Date and place of birth, Duration of residence in this locality, Country of origin, Citizenship, Country of permanent residence, Ethnicity, Purpose of stay in Moldova, Native language, Religion, Education, Marital status, Number of live-born children, Economic situation, Employment;
- Household: List of household members, permanently living in dwelling, Housing conditions of population.
The population census covered all citizens of the Republic of Moldova who reside in the country (regardless if at the reference moment they were in the country or gone temporarily abroad), as well as foreign citizens or persons without citizenship who had residence in the Republic of Moldova.
Producers and sponsors
National Bureau of Statistics
Dates of Data Collection
Data Collection Mode
Data Collection Notes
Method of enumeration
At the 2004 census, as well as during previous censuses, was used the field interview and filling up of questionnaires at the person’s permanent place of residence, without any presentation of documents. As a rule, the permanent place of residence is defined as the locality, individual house, appartement, hostel or dormitory, etc. where the person spends most of the time. In each house, there were enumerated all persons living there permanently (usually), including persons who were temporarily absent at the reference moment, as well as persons temporarily present in this house, having permanent residence in other country. In order to guarantee to all inhabitants the chance to be included in the census enumeration, there were organized stationary census sections, where each mature person could come and furnish the necessary information about himself and about the members of the household.
The population census was conducted during the period 5-12 October, 2004, in municipalities, cities, communes, villages according to the existing situation at the ”0” hours of October 5, 2004, considered as “reference moment of the census”. Registration, according to the existing situation at the reference moment of the census, means that all data recorded in the census forms were referring to the situation existed at the ”0” hours of October 5, 2004, even if the period of filling in census forms lasted 8 days. The necessity in establishing of such a moment is due to the changes that might occur among population as result of births, deaths, marriages, change of residence, etc.
National Bureau of Statistics
At the 2004 census were used 3 census forms:
• 1G form (was filled out for each household from the living quarters) included 2 chapters containing the list of household’s members who were living in the respective living quarters and 6 questions regarding the population living conditions;
• 2P form (was filled out for each person having permanent residence in the country), containing 20 questions;
• 3S form (was filled out for persons temporarily present on the territory of the Republic of Moldova and who have permanent residence in the country), containing 7 questions.
Use of the dataset must be acknowledged using a citation which would include:
- the Identification of the Primary Investigator
- the title of the survey (including country, acronym and year of implementation)
- the survey reference number
- the source and date of download
National Bureau of Statistics of the Republic of Moldova. Moldova Population Census 2004. Ref. MDA_2004_PHC_v01_M. Dataset downloaded from www.measuredhs.com on [date]
The user of the data acknowledges that the original collector of the data, the authorized distributor of the data, and the relevant funding agency bear no responsibility for use of the data or for interpretations or inferences based upon such uses.