Suriname conducted its Eighth General Population Census In 2012, through its General Bureau of Statistics (GBS). It was also the third census, legally under directions of the GBS since enactment of the new Statistics Act (S.B. 2002, no 97). The 2012 census is preceded by the 1921, 1950, 1964, 1972, 1980, 2003 and 2004 censuses.
Kind of Data
Census/enumeration data [cen]
Unit of Analysis
The scope of the 2012 census includes the following:
- Household Identification
- Individual Module: Listing of household members; Listing of visitors to the household; migration; women module
- Household module: characteristics of the residential building; characteristics of the occupied living quarters; facilities available to the household; household appliances and other facilities; international migration (emigration)
environment; access to internet; language spoken in the household; criminality.
District is The legal geographical division of the country. Suriname since 1985, consists of 10 districts, subdivided into 62 resorts.
Ressort is the legal geographical division within a district. (Smallest unit established by law).
Producers and sponsors
General Bureau of Statistics
Dates of Data Collection
Data Collection Mode
The questionnaire is made up of the following modules:
- Household Identification (Huishoud Identificatie)
- Indivdiual Module (Persoonsmodule)
- Household module (Huishoudmodule)
Suriname General Bureau of Statistics (Algemeen Bureau voor de Statistiek in Suriname)
Use of the dataset must be acknowledged using a citation which would include:
- the Identification of the Primary Investigator
- the title of the survey (including country, acronym and year of implementation)
- the survey reference number
- the source and date of download
Disclaimer and copyrights
The user of the data acknowledges that the original collector of the data, the authorized distributor of the data, and the relevant funding agency bear no responsibility for use of the data or for interpretations or inferences based upon such uses.