Alternatives for solid waste management in Isfahan, Iran: a case study

Type Journal Article - Waste Management & Research
Title Alternatives for solid waste management in Isfahan, Iran: a case study
Volume 31
Issue 5
Publication (Day/Month/Year) 2013
Page numbers 532-537
This articles presents the status of municipal solid waste (MSW) management practices in the city of Isfahan, Iran. It provides an
overview of the generation, collection, separation, recycling and disposal of MSW. Field studies were carried out from 2009 to 2010.
According to this study, the city generates about 399,000 metric tons of MSW per year, of which 72.5% is organic matter. In Isfahan
more than 90% of the MSW is collected by official municipal forces and the other 10% is collected by informal collectors. About
70% of the MSW in Isfahan is composted to produce a humus material, 5% is rejected and 25% is stockpiled for future use as fuel
in a waste-to-energy incineration plant. Non-compostable waste and other residues are landfilled. This investigation also includes an
analysis of economic benefits that could be realized by implementing incineration and a discussion of the challenges confronted in
Isfahan for implementing changes to the city’s existing MSW management system. This article concludes with recommendations for
improving the city’s MSW management system.

Related studies