Central Data Catalog

Citation Information

Type Working Paper - PAA submission
Title Who are the condom users of Pakistan?: An analysis of predictors
Author(s)
Publication (Day/Month/Year) 2012
URL http://paa2012.princeton.edu/download.aspx?submissionId=121126
Abstract
While fertility rates have been declining throughout Asia over the last two decades, Pakistan stands out as one of the few countries experiencing a slow pace of decline (Hamid and Stephenson). Using Bongaarts’ Proximate Determinants of Fertility framework (Bongaarts), one can conclude that much of this lagging decline in fertility is attributable to slow progress with increasing family planning use, especially modern methods. The recent Demographic and Health Survey (2006/7) showed that only 34.4% of married women of reproductive age are using family planning, and of this, only 26.4% are using modern methods of contraception. Of those women contracepting, and not including already sterilized couples, a full 82% would like to limit their births, while the other 18% would like to space their births. (Pakistan DHS) Currently in Pakistan, the most widely used contraceptive method is sterilization (34%), followed by traditional methods 1 (23%) and condoms (17.5%). Oral contraceptive pills, injectables and intrauterine devices (IUDs) make up the rest of the contracepting population. Given the importance of condom use in the spectrum of family planning practices, this paper seeks to identify key correlates and predictors of condom use in Pakistan. In short, this paper will attempt to elucidate the characteristics of the condom user compared to non-condom users, particularly with respect to birth limiting preferences.

Related studies

»