This is the fifth in a series of decennial censuses that have been conducted in Malawi since the country attained its independence in 1964. The first post-independence census was conducted in 1966, followed by the 1977, 1987 and 1998 censuses.
In addition to variables collected in past censuses, 2he 2008 Census contains information on disability statistics, emigration, maternal and general deaths, and orphan hood status of children aged 18 years or younger.
Kind of Data
Census/enumeration data [cen]
Unit of Analysis
- Household members aged 6 years or older
- Women aged 12 years or older
The 2008 Population and Housing Census covered the following topics:
- Household Demographics Characteristics
- Parental Survivorship and Residence
- Activities (for household member aged 6 years and older)
- Birth (for women aged 12 years or older)
- Dwelling Unit Characteristics
- Maternal Mortality