The Enterprise Survey 2008 is the eighth year of Enterprise Surveys, previously conducted from the year 2001 to the year 2008 inclusively.
The Enterprise Survey 2008 was conducted by GSO and its sub-institutions to collect information on enterprises operating in Viet Nam at the end of the year 2007. It is the eighth year of the annual enterprise surveys. All business entities existing at the end of the year were surveyed.
Objectives of the survey:
- To collect information of enterprises' productive factors (labor, capital, assets,…) and business results in 2007, to assess the situation and capacity of enterprises in different industries and economic sectors.
- To collect necessary information for aggregating officially reported indicators in the year 2007 for specialities (number of enterprises, numbers of employees, capital, assets, business result indicators, indicators of the national account such as production value, intermediate cost, value added...) and calculating statistical weights for 2007 as the based year.
- To update the enterprise database to meet requirements of statistics of enterprises and other statistics.
The survey were organized and steered by GSO and principally conducted by Provincial Statistical Offices. Data were gathered by two methods, direct and indirect ones. Details of the two methods and their applicable objects are:
Direct data gathering: enumerators interview respondents directly, ask for data, explanations of circumstance. Based on that, the enumerators fill out the questionnaire. This method is applied for the business environment questionnaire and survey units which have not fully followed accounting standards, unable to self-fill out the questionnaire (small-size enterprises, enterprises under preparation for dissolving, enterprises under investigation,…)
Indirect data gathering: Organization of meeting of chief accountants, accountants or statistical staffs of survey units, or enumerators instruct directly how to fill out the questionnaires as well as information of where to send, how to send, time for sending, so that the survey units fill out the questionnaire on their own and send filled questionnaires to the survey organizer.
Kind of Data
Sample survey data [ssd]
Unit of Analysis
Version 02: Edited, anonymous dataset for public distribution.
The scope of the Enterprise Survey includes the following: (It should note that the scope is not applied to all enterprises, applicable enterprises is noted in parenthesis.)
- Enterprise screening such as name, address, activities.
- Labor including labor's compensation, assets and liabilities, business results, performance of obligations to the State, products produced in the year (for enterprises having industrial, transport and telecommunication activities), transportation means (For enterprises having transport activities), implementation of legal capital share (for joint- venture enterprises), investment capital in the year, finished construction works and new-increased capacity (for investors), professional training of labor, scientific personnel and investments for research and development of technology science, on-the job accident in the year, some indicators of information technology application, some indicators about environmental protection of the enterprise, gross output of industrial and construction activities (for enterprises having industrial and construction activities), commerce activity (for enterprises having activities of commerce, agency, repair of motor vehicles, motorcycles, motorbikes, personnel and household tools), hotel activity (for enterprises having activities of hotel, camping, and other related services), restaurant activities (for enterprises having activities of restaurant, bar and canteen), tourism by tour and activities supporting for tourist (For enterprises having tourism activities by tour and activities supporting for tourist), other service activities, ex-import of services in the year, Information on investment capital and fixed assets (Apply for sampled enterprises), list of enterprises' branches.
- Production and business costs by elements (applicable for sampled enterprises).
- Production, sale and inventory of industrial products.
- Results of financial intermediate and financial assistance activities (Applicable for credit instituitions, financial companies, people's credit funds, …)
- Results of insurance activity and insurance brokerage (Applicable for insurance enterprises and brockerages).
income, property and investment/saving [1.5]
business/industrial management and organisation [2.2]
TRANSPORT, TRAVEL AND MOBILITY 
agricultural, forestry and rural industry [2.1]
in-job training [3.2]
TRADE, INDUSTRY AND MARKETS
LABOUR AND EMPLOYMENT
TRANSPORT, TRAVEL AND MOBILITY
They are enterprises independently keeping business account, they were established and under regulations of the State Enterprise Law, Cooperative Law, Enterprise Law, Foreign Investment Law, began business operation before 1st January 2008 and currently exist. They may include seasonal operation enterprises which did not operate on all 12 months of year 2006, enterprises which suspend operation for renovation investment, repairing, construction, production extension, enterprises which stop operation for merging or dissolving but still have the managerial system for answering questions in the questionnaire (exclude enterprises that do not have the managerial system for answering the questions in the questionnaire).
Producers and sponsors
General Statistics Office
Ministry of Planning and Investment
General Statistics Office
The Enterprise Survey 2008 is conducted according to census and sample survey methods. There are three cases that the sample survey are applied. The first case is for surveying non-state enterprises having less than 10 labors, the second case is for surveying of production and business cost, the third case is for business environment survey. Sample selection of these cases are described as follows:
Sample Selection of non-state enterprises having less than 10 employees for application of the Questionnaire No. 1A-DTDN (general questionnaire)
(1) The Sampling Frame:
The sampling frame is established based on the list of non-state enterprises having less than 10 employees from the Enterprise Survey in the year 2005 (except the enterprises in hotel industry which are all selected). The sampling frame is stratified according to the 2-digit-level industrial classification; in each 2-digit-level industry, enterprises are listed with descending order based on net revenues of production and business in the year 2007. Commercial industry or service industries are stratified into 4-digit-level industries or groups of 4-digit-level industries.
(2) Sample selection:
The number of non-state enterprises selected for applying the Questionnaire No 1A-DTDN is 15% of enterprises which have less than 10 employees in the list of enterprises from which were collected filled questionnaires in the year 2007.
The principle for sample selection is to have reprentativeness of each 2-digit-level industry (for commercial or service industries), representativeness is at 4-digit-level industries or groups of industries in provincies. The selection method is systematic sampling with fixed intervals after a ramdom start.
Because the numbers of enterprises having less than 10 employees in provinces, cities are significantly differential, a number of provinces do not have numerous enterprises, no choice of enterprises having less than 10 employees for applying Questionnaire No. 1A-DTDN is only done in 15 provinces/cities: they are Lai Chau, Ha Giang, Dien Bien, Bac Kan, Son La, Cao Bang, Tuyen Quang, Lao Cai, Yen Bai, Ha Nam, Hoa Binh, Ninh Thuan, Kon Tum, Dak Nong, Hau Giang.
Sample selection of enterprises which are surveyed for production, business cost (Questionnaire No. 2A-DTDN)
(1) Establishing the Sampling Frame
The sampling frame is established based on the list of enterprises from which were collected filled questionnaires in the 2007 Enterprise Survey.
(2) Sample Selection
The sample is representative for 8 regions and 2-digit level economic industries in each region with sample size of about 10000 enterprises (the sample ratio is approximately 10%). Sample allocation to each region or each 2-digit-level economic industry is based on share of production value of each region to that of the whole country and share of each 2-digit-level economic industry in production value of the region. In each 2-digit-level economic industry, enterprises are listed with descending order based on net revenues of production and business in the year 2004. After having number of sample in each region and each 2-digit-level economic industry in the region, sample selection is done for each 2-digit- level industry in regions by systematic sample with fixed interval of K (K= total number of the 2-digit-level industry divided by the allocated sample to the industry) after a random start.
Sample selection of enterprises conducted business environment survey (Questionnaire No. 4- DTDN)
The sample for business environment survey is selected to be respresentative for 1-digit-level industries in each province/city with the sample about 10000 enterprises (Approximate 10%).
Deviations from the Sample Design
Procedure for selecting enterprises when sampled enterprises
When sample enterprises are missing, Statistical Office of Provinces/ Cities have rights to complete the sample with following priority order:
- Enterprises in the province/city and the same 4-digit-level industry having the closest net revenue to the missing enterprises in the sample.
- Enterprises in the province/city and the same 2-digit-level industry having the closest net revenue to the missing enterprises in the sample.
There was no reports of missing cases, however, with the above procedure, it is expected that there is no major deviations from sample design
There was no report on response rates.
There are no weights available for sample data in the survey.
Dates of Data Collection
Data Collection Mode
Data Collection Notes
As noted, GSO have overall responsibilties of implementation of the survey but the data collection were mainly conducted by Provincial Statistical Offices (PSOs). The responsibilities of GSO and PSOs in data collection are:
(1) Sample selection (done centrally by GSO)
(2) GSO training of provincial staff on the survey.
(3) Recruitment of enumerators and supervisors following provided criteria.
(4) Statistical Office of Provinces/Cities training of their enumerators and supervisors on the survey: Statistical Office of Provinces take responsibility for training their enumerators and supervisors and instructing respondents of enterprises on contents of and how to fill out the questionnsire based on the survey design provided by General Statistics Office.
(5) Conduction of data collection at survey units.
Provincial Statistical Offices
Viet Nam General Statistics Office
There were three general types of questionnaires: 1) Questionnaires for basic indicators about production, business of enterprises; 2) Questionnaire about energy; 3) Questionnaire on business environment. In the first and the second general types of questionnaire, there were several specific questionnnaires for specific enterprises. In the current database, only data collected from the first general type of questionnaire is available.
(1) Questionnaires for basic indicators about production, business of enterprises
a. Questionnaire No. 1A-DTDN: this questionnaire is to collect information of enterprises in the year 2007
(Applicable to all state enterprises, non-state enterprises having more than 10 employees, 15% of non-state enterprises having less than 10 employees which are selected to be surveyed, all foregin invested enterprises of all industries in the national economy). This questionnaire was filled in for each enterprise as survey object to collect information on screening, labor including labor compensation, activities, production...
b. Questionnaire No. 1B-DTDN: this questionnaire is to collect information of enterprises in the year 2007.
(Applicable to non-state enteprises having less than 10 employees of all industries in the national economy, but not being selected to be surveyed with Questionnaire No. 1A-DTDN). This is short version of question No.1A-DTDN.
c. Questionnaire No. 1C-DTDN: Production, Selling and Inventory of some industrial products in year 2007.
(Applicable to all enterprises having industrial activity as the main activity). This questionnaire is to gather information on production, selling and inventory if industrial products.
d. Questionnaire No. 2B-DTDN: Results of financial intermediate and financial assistance activities in year 2007.
(Applicable to all enterprises which are credit institution: Banks, financial comparies, people's credit funds... ). Information on detail revenue and cost items and business result of financial intermediate and financial assistance activities were collected with this questionnaire.
e. Questionnaire No 2C- DTDN: Results of insurance activity and insurance brokerage in year 2007. Information on detail revenue and cost items and business result of insurance activity and insurance brokerage were collected with this questionnaire.
(Applicable to all enterprises having insurance activity and insurance brokerage activities)
f. Questionnaire 2A-DTDN/M: Business, Production Costs by Elements in the Year 2007 (Applicable to sampled enterprises). Sampled enterprises were collected information on business, production costs by the questionnaire.
(2) Questionnaire about energy: they include following questionnaires:
a. Questionnaire No. 3A-DNDN: production, selling and export, import of electricity in the year 2007
(Applicable to Electricity of Viet Nam)
b. Questionnaire No. 3B-DTDN: Production, selling, inventory and export of coal in the year 2007
(Applicable to enterprises having coal mining activity)
c. Questionnaire No. 3C-DTDN: Production, selling, inventory and export of natural gas in the year 2007
(Applicable to Petro Vietnam and enterprises having liquefied gas import activity)
d. Questionnaire No. 3D-DTDN: Import and export of Fuel, Petroleum in the year 2007
(Applicable to enterprises having Fuel, petroleum import activity)
(3) Questionnaire on business environment in year 2007. This type has one questionnaire:
Questionnaire No. 4- DTDN: Questionnaire for collecting information of business environment
Only data of the first general type of the questionnaires is available in the current database.
The questionnaires are in Vietnamese and based on the questionnaires in Enterprise Survey 2007
All questionnaires of the first general type are provided as external resources.
Director, Industrial Statistics Department
General Statistics Office
Director, Industrial Statistics Department
General Statistics Office
Confidentiality of respondents is guaranteed by the General Statistics Office of Vietnam.
Before being granted access to the dataset, all users have to formally agree:
1. To make no copies of any files or portions of files to which s/he is granted access except those authorized by the data depositor.
2. Not to use any technique in an attempt to learn the identity of any person, establishment, or sampling unit not identified on public use data files.
3. To hold in strictest confidence the identification of any establishment or individual that may be inadvertently revealed in any documents or discussion, or analysis. Such inadvertent identification revealed in her/his analysis will be immediately brought to the attention of the data depositor.
The dataset has been anonymized and is available as a Public Use Dataset. It is accessible to all for statistical and research purposes only, under the following terms and conditions:
1. The data and other materials will not be redistributed or sold to other individuals, institutions, or organizations without the written agreement of the Industrial and Construction Department, GSO.
2. The data will be used for statistical and scientific research purposes only. They will be used solely for reporting of aggregated information, and not for investigation of specific individuals or organizations.
3. No attempt will be made to re-identify respondents, and no use will be made of the identity of any person or establishment discovered inadvertently. Any such discovery would immediately be reported to the Department of Agriculture, forestry and fishery Statistics of General Statistics Office of Vietnam.
4. No attempt will be made to produce links among datasets provided by the General Statistics Office of Vietnam, or among data from the GSO NADA (www.gso.gov.vn/nada) and other datasets that could identify individuals or organizations.
5. Any books, articles, conference papers, theses, dissertations, reports, or other publications that employ data obtained from the GSO will cite the source of data in accordance with the Citation Requirement provided with each dataset.
6. An electronic copy of all reports and publications based on the requested data will be sent to Industrial and Construction Department, GSO.
The original collector of the data, the Industrial and Construction Department, GSO, and the relevant funding agencies bear no responsibility for use of the data or for interpretations or inferences based upon such uses.
Use of the dataset must be acknowledged using a citation which would include:
- the Identification of the Primary Investigator
- the title of the survey (including country, acronym and year of implementation)
- the survey reference number
- the source and date of download
General Statistics Office, Vietnam. Enterprise Survey 2008. Ref. Enterprise Survey 2008. Dataset downloaded from http:// www.gso.gov.vn on [date].
Disclaimer and copyrights
The Viet Nam General Statistics Office provide these data to external users without any responsibility implied for the resulting or statements from the use of these data.
DDI Document ID
Luu Dinh Quy
Industrial and Construction Department, GSO
Accelerated Data Program
International Household Survey Network
Editing for the IHSN Survey Catalog
Date of Metadata Production
DDI Document version
Version 01: Adopted from "DDI_VNM_2008_ES_v01_M" DDI that was done by metadata producers mentioned in "Metadata Production" section.