Statistics Mauritius conducted the ninth Household Budget Survey (HBS) from January to December 2012 in the Republic of Mauritius. The survey studied the consumption pattern of the population living in private households in Mauritius with a view to updating the basket of goods and services used for the computation of the monthly Consumer Price Index (CPI). Following the recommendation of an IMF mission in 2008, the coverage of the Household Budget Survey has been extended to include private households comprising foreigners.
Private households comprising Mauritians and foreigners
Producers and sponsors
Central Statistics Office
A stratified two-stage sampling design was used for the purpose of this survey. Clusters containing more than 50 households were stratified by geographical district and within each district by region (according to their level of relative development). At the first stage, a sample of clusters was selected within each stratum with probability proportional to size. The household within each selected cluster were stratified according to household size, expenditure class and religion. At the second stage, 8 households were sampled from each selected cluster.The total sample size was 6,720 private households surveyed at the rate of 560 per month.
The initial response rate was 74% before replacing households that were unable or unwilling to participate in the survey. After replacement by households having similar stratification criteria, the response rate was 100%.
Dates of Data Collection
Data Collection Mode
Four different questionnaires were used:
- Household schedule: This schedule was used to collect information on the characteristics of the selected households and its members.
- Daily record of household expenditure: This diary was used for collecting detailed daily household expenditure for the whole survey month. When consolidated, this provided itemwise expenditure for the whole month for each household.
- Income schedule: This schedule was used to collect data on the income of each income earner of the household.
- Point of purchase questionnaire: This was used to collect information on the outlets where households usually purchase consumption goods and services.
Central Statistics Office
Government of Mauritius
Use of the dataset must be acknowledged using a citation which would include:
- the Identification of the Primary Investigator
- the title of the survey (including country, acronym and year of implementation)
- the survey reference number
- the source and date of download
Central Statistics Office. Mauritius Household Budget Survey (HBS) 2012. Ref. MUS_2012_HBS_v01_M. Dataset downloaded from [url] on [date].
Disclaimer and copyrights
The user of the data acknowledges that the original collector of the data, the authorized distributor of the data, and the relevant funding agency bear no responsibility for use of the data or for interpretations or inferences based upon such uses.