The World Bank Group Country Opinion Survey Program systematically measures and tracks the perceptions of the World Bank Group's clients, partners, and other stakeholders across the globe in client countries.
The Public Opinion Research Group (PORG) surveyed 29 countries in FY2012 (July 2011-June 2012) and 41 countries in FY2013 (July 2012-June 2013). In FY2014, surveys were conducted in 42 countries and in FY2015 - in 35 countries. Nearly all of the World Bank Group's client countries are surveyed in 3-year cycles.
The Country Opinion Survey in Benin assists the World Bank Group (WBG) in gaining a better understanding of how stakeholders in Benin perceive the WBG. It provides the WBG with systematic feedback from national and local governments, multilateral/bilateral agencies, media, academia, the private sector, and civil society in Benin on:
1) their views regarding the general environment in Benin;
2) their overall attitudes toward the WBG in Benin;
3) overall impressions of the WBG’s effectiveness and results, knowledge work and activities, and communication and information sharing in Benin;
4) their perceptions of the WBG’s future role in Benin.
Unit of Analysis
Stakeholders of the World Bank Group in Benin
v01, edited anonymous dataset for public distribution
Coding schemes of output data:
- Single-choice questions: Response options are coded according to corresponding numbers in the questionnaire.
- Multiple-choice questions: When a response option is checked, it is coded as "1," when a response option is not checked, it is coded as "0."
- 10-point scale questions: "1" corresponds to the lowest value, "10" corresponds to the highest value. "Don't know" is coded as "11."
- Yes/No questions: "Yes" is coded as "1," "No" is coded as "2."
The scope of the study includes:
- General issues facing Benin
- Overall attitudes toward the World Bank Group
- World Bank Group's effectiveness and results
- The World Bank Group's knowledge work and activities
- Working with the World Bank Group
- The future role of the World Bank Group in Benin
- Communication and information sharing
- Respondents' background information
Cotonou/Abomey Calavi, Come/Ouidah, Porto Novo, Parakou, Autres villes and Zones rurales.
Producers and sponsors
Public Opinion Research Group
The World Bank Group
The World Bank Group
From April to June 2015, 545 stakeholders of the WBG in Benin were invited to provide their opinions on the WBG's work in the country by participating in a country opinion survey. Participants were drawn from the office of the President/Prime Minister, office of a Minister, office of a Parliamentarian, employees of ministries/ministerial departments/implementation agencies, Project Management Units (PMUs) overseeing implementation of WBG projects or consultants/contractors working on WBG-supported projects/programs, local governments, bilateral/multilateral agencies, private sector organizations, the financial sector/private banks, NGOs/community-based organizations, the media, independent government institutions, trade unions, faith-based groups, youth groups, academia/research institutes/think tanks, and the judiciary branch.
A total of 442 stakeholders participated in the survey (81% response rate).
The results of 2015 Country Survey were compared to those in the Country Survey conducted in FY2012 (response rate is 87%, N=600). The data were weighted to reach similar stakeholder compositions across the two survey years, allowing for more statistically reliable comparisons. Stakeholders who identified themselves as "Other" in the stakeholder category options were not included in these comparisons. As a result, mean ratings, percentages of respondents, and the total number of respondents in both years are slightly different from those of the original data reported in the FY2012 report and the non-weighted data presented in the FY2015 report. For the weighted stakeholder breakdown and year comparison results, please refer to Appendix E (see page 101) in the attached report.
Dates of Data Collection
Data Collection Mode
Computer Assisted Personal Interview [capi]
English and French
ECRGP, The World Bank Group
ECRGP, The World Bank Group
Use of the dataset must be acknowledged using a citation which would include:
- the Identification of the Primary Investigator
- the title of the survey (including country, acronym and year of implementation)
- the survey reference number
- the source and date of download
Public Opinion Research Group (The World Bank Group). Benin World Bank Group Country Survey (WBCS) 2015, Ref. BEN_2015_WBCS_v01_M. Dataset downloaded from [URL] on [date].
Disclaimer and copyrights
The user of the data acknowledges that the original collector of the data, the authorized distributor of the data, and the relevant funding agency bear no responsibility for use of the data or for interpretations or inferences based upon such uses.