||TDHS community questionnaire was based on the model DHS community questionnaire. Again it was modified to suit the situation in Thailand. The community survey was conducted in all 192 sample clusters (villages) of rural areas but not in urban areas. The community questionnaire focuses on information on village characteristics, accessibility to health and family planning services, and availability to public services nearest to the cluster.
The community was defined according to official administrative boundaries. A group interview was used as the mode of data collection for the community survey. The interview was conducted by the team supervisor. The respondents were a group of community leaders (typically 3-5 persons). Persons qualifying as respondents included current or former village headmen, or their assistants, village health volunteers, village health communicators, members of existing associations (groups) in the village, and other village leaders who have been residing in the community for five years or more. Visits were also made to all government health and family planning service outlets within a 30 kilometer radius from the cluster to collect information from the personnel about services.
The questionnaire was modified to suit the Thai context. As noted above, several questions were added to the standard DHS core questionnaire not only to meet the interest of IPS researchers hut also because of their relevance to the current demographic situation in Thailand. The supplemental questions are marked with an asterisk in the individual questionnaire. Questions concerning the following items were added in the individual questionnaire:
- Did the respondent ever experience a miscarriage or abortion? If so, how many? Educational attainment and expectations for each of respondent's living children age 6 or above.
- Did the respondent ever use contraception subsequent to marriage and prior to first pregnancy? If so, how long after marriage did she first use contraception?
- Information on whether or not users of oral contraceptives forgot to take the pill any time during the last month and if so, how many times.
- Information on the type and timing of first contraceptive method used since last birth including a probe on whether contraceptive use was initiated prior to or subsequent to the return of menses
- The place of the respondent's last delivery.
- Whether the respondent's marriage was registered; whether the marriage was marked by a ceremony.
- Did the couple live with any set of parents following marriage? If so, with whose parents did the couple reside following marriage?
- Does the respondent consider a lower high school education sufficient for young people nowadays?
- Secondary occupation of husband.
- Information on respondent's current work, employment status and type of payment.
- Height and weight of mothers of children 3-36 months of age.