Household Budget Survey has been conducted annually by Statistics Lithuania since 1996. The HBS methodology was improved in 2003. Some changes were introduced into the design of the sample and recording of households' income and expenditures.
The main objectives of the survey are:
-to obtain weights for Consumer Price Index,
-to estimate household expenditure for National Accounts,
-to study the general structure of household incomes and expenditures,
-to study income and expenditure patterns of disadvantaged groups, including pensioner households, single parent households, etc.,
-to study income and expenditure disparities among socio-economic groups,
-to study consumer behavior among socio-economic groups,
-to study effects of policy changes, especially tax changes on income and expenditure.
The target population of Household Budget Survey is based on private households in Lithuania. Households are selected using the random sampling method from the Populations Register. Participation of the selected households in the survey takes one month. After one month other households replace them.
Data is collected through face-to-face interviews and expenditure diaries.
Kind of Data
Sample survey data [ssd]
Unit of Analysis
The scope of the study includes:
- composition of a household
- household members' demographic characteristics
- employment of household members
- ownership of durable goods
- expenditures on food, non-food items and services
- household consumption
- taxes, other liabilities and payments
- housing characteristics.
Cities and settlements
The universe of the survey is private households in Lithuania. Persons living in the institutional households (elderly people nursing homes, imprisonment institutions, army, etc.) have been excluded from the survey.
Producers and sponsors
Dates of Data Collection
Data Collection Mode
1. Main Household Questionnaire.
2. Diary of Household Expenditure.
3. Individual Questionnaire.
4. Housing Questionnaire.
The use of the datasets must be acknowledged using a citation which would include:
- the identification of the Primary Investigator (including country name)
- the full title of the survey and its acronym (when available), and the year(s) of implementation
- the survey reference number
- the source and date of download (for datasets disseminated online)
Statistics Lithuania. Lithuania Household Budget Survey (HBS) 2016, Ref. LTU_2016_HBS_v01_M. Dataset downloaded from [URL] on [date].
Location of Data Collection
Archive where study is originally stored
Public use files URL: https://osp.stat.gov.lt/viesos-duomenu-rinkmenos
Disclaimer and copyrights
The user of the data acknowledges that the original collector of the data, the authorized distributor of the data, and the relevant funding agency bear no responsibility for use of the data or for interpretations or inferences based upon such uses.