Central Data Catalog
Africa Program for Education Impact Evaluation (Round 1) 2008
David K. Evans, The World Bank and Moussa P. Blimpo, Stanford University
March 29, 2019
March 29, 2019
Data file: classroom_cleaned
The file contains data related to "Classroom Visits" questionnaire.
101. Cluster name
102. Sub-cluster Code
105. Code of the school
1=WSD; 2=GRANT; 3=CONTROL
112. Start Time of the visit
113. What grade are you observing?
201. What is the teacher doing when you arrive at the clasroom?
202. Count the number of girls present in the class.
203. Count the number of boys present in the class.
204a. ..activities? a. Give test
204b. ..activities? b. Call out to children by their names
204c. ..activities? c. Address questions to the children during class
204d. ..activities? d. Provides individual/small group tutoring as required
204e. ..activities? e. Encourages the children to participate in class discussio
204f. ..activities? f. Reads out from the text book
204g. ..activities? g. Makes children read from the text book
204h. ..activities? h. Used the blackboard frequently/sufficiently
204i. ..activities? i. Assign written homework
204j. ..activities? j. Provided guidance on how to do the homework
204k. ..activities? k. Provided feedback/comments on previous homework
205. How would you describe the teacher's behaviour towards the pupils during th
300a. ...activities ? a. The children used textbooks during class
300b. ...activities ? b. The children used workbooks during class
300c. ...activities ? c. The children ask questions for clarification of their d
300d. ...activities ? d. The children talking/playing with other children (not w
301. How would you describe pupils' participation?
302. Did the teacher have control over the class?
303. During the lesson did some of the students move in and out of the class?
400. Is there a chair and table for the teacher in the teaching area?
401. Where are most of the children seated in the class?
500. Look at the register and count the number of students enrolled.
501. Does the teacher have a written lesson plan?
502. Does the teacher have a written lesson note for today's lesson?
503. Does your school have a staff code of conduct?
504. When was the last staff meeting you were expected to attend?
505. What was the main topic of the most recent staff meeting?
506. How many hours do you spend on math each week?
507. How many hours do you spend on reading each week?
508. How many days of school have you missed in the past week?
509. How many hours of school did you miss yesterday?
600. What time did you leave the teaching area?